Thursday, November 5, 2009

Roasted Kale

My vegetable experiments continue.  Tonight I made baked kale.  I have had kale chips before (basically pieces of kale cooked until they are crispy).  This is very similar, just baked a little less.  The result is soft kale leaves with crispy edges.  Kale is a mild flavored green, and I prefer its taste to spinach.  I did not expect my husband to like it, but he did!

I served it with a French Flat Bread that I got at Trader Joe's.  It was a quick and delicious meal.  The S/C Value for  a whole cup of cooked kale is 2/1.


Roasted Kale
Serves 2

1 bunch of kale
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

Dry the kale leaves as much as possible after washing.  Trim the kale to remove the thick stem.  Chop the kale into bit size pieces.

Toss dry kale leaves, oil, garlic, and seasoning in a large bowl.  Put the kale on a baking sheet, and roast for 10 minutes, stirring often.  Remove when the edges of the kale just begin to brown.

If you want to make kale chips to serve with your favorite dip, allow the kale to cook until all leaves are light brown, about 15 minutes.

2 comments: