Monday, November 2, 2009

Cauliflower Hashbrowns

I had 1/2 of a head of cauliflower left over from my fried rice last week, so I decided to experiment.

Inspired by how well the cauliflower held up as rice, I decided to try to make the cauliflower taste like fried potatoes.  I am pleased with the results!  I tried chopping up the cauliflower into different sizes, and smaller chunks taste more like fried potatoes because you taste more of the yummy brown charred parts of the cauliflower. 

One serving as prepared below has an S/C Value of 2/1, including the sour cream dipping sauce!

Cauliflower Hashbrowns with Sour Cream and Chives
Serves 1

1 c. raw cauliflower, chopped into small pieces (about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller)
1 Tbsp. finely chopped yellow onion
Sprinkle of season salt or salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 Tbsp. oil (I use Smart Balance)

1 Tbsp Sour Cream
Chives (either fresh or dehydrated)

Heat oil over medium high heat.  Add onion and cook for about 1 minute.  Add cauliflower and seasoning and sautee until cauliflower is golden brown.  Serve with sour cream and chives, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that cauliflower makes a great subsitute for carbs...thanks for introducing this to me!! :)

    ReplyDelete