Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

So I have been searching the internet trying to find a natural, sugar free, low carb cookie.  I have figured out that any truly sugar free cookie will not turn out exactly like the cookies that we all love because cookies need sugar in order to get that crunchy morsel cookie texture.  However, I found a substitute that tastes good even though the texture is different.

My recipe is based on a recipe that I found online that sounded good but used almond flour.  I am allergic to nuts, so I could not make these cookies without a trip to the ER from breathing in the almond dust.

Here is a link to that recipe with the almond flour.  If anyone tries it, please let me know how it is!


I used the above listed recipe as a basis for the recipe below, but substituted regular flours for the nut flour.  The cookies have a great taste but have a more cake-like texture.  The S/C Value for 2 cookies is 0/1.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
12 Servings (2 cookie per serving)


1 stick of butter
3/4 c. xylitol
1/4 c. maple flavored maltitol syrup (I used this for a brown sugar taste)
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. vanilla whey protein (I used Jay Robb brand)
1/2 c. unbleached flour
1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. sugar free chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.    With a mixer, cream butter, xylitol, maltitol until butter until creamy.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. 

In a bowl, combine the whey powder, flours, baking powder, and soda.  Slowly add this mixture to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition. 

Stir in 1/2 c. of chocolate chips.

Spoon dough on an ungreased cookie sheet (scoops that are smaller than a golf ball).  Push down tops of the cookie with a fork.  Bake for about 9 minutes.  Flip cookies and let cool on the baking sheet.

This recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies

1 comment:

  1. This sounds crazy, but last night I fell asleep without putting these cookies away. I swear the taste better today after being left overnight. Some of the cakey texture went away!

    ReplyDelete