Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Potato- Zucchini Latke

Tonight for dinner, I made Filet Mignon.  If you are looking for a fast way to make a filet without using a grill, check out this website.

Since meat always goes well with potatoes, I was looking for a potato dish without a ton of carbs.  I found a recipe that combines zucchini and potatoes to make tasty Latkes (or potato pancakes).   My husband never had them before, but he liked them!  I served them with sour cream with chives and some applesauce.

Three latkes have a S/C Value of 3/1 (no including the sour cream or applesauce)

Potato-Zucchini Latkes

 Serves 4


3 medium zucchini, peeled
1 medium potato, peeled
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
salt and pepper
2 tbsp canola oil


Grate zucchini and potato, either by hand or in a food processor. Drain well in colander. Remove any additional liquid by wrapping the grated vegetables in paper towels and squeezing well. Mix in the egg, flour and seasonings (it is easy to do this by hand).
Form mixture into 12 latkes.

Heat oil over medium high heat.  Fry latkes on both sides, and drain on a paper towel. Serve while hot!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea for dinner. I havent had potatoes yet on the BFC, so this is a great idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you think it would change the flavor much if I substituted the white whole wheat flour with soy flour? -Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think so. You really only need the flour to hold the stuff together. I bought soy flour last week to try using. I will let you know how it works!

    ReplyDelete