Sunday, November 8, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream

Tonight, I made my FAVORITE ice cream!! This has convinced me that I can make my sugar-free lifestyle last.

With sugar-free whole wheat cookie dough, this recipe is about a 1/1 S/C Value, depending on how much cookie you use.  If you do not feel like making sugar free cookie dough, try to find a low sugar cookie dough to use.  I saw a brand of refrigerated dough at Whole Foods that had only 6 grams of sugar per cookie.  That would make this ice cream about a 4/1 or 4/2, depending on how many cookies you use.

If you like plain vanilla ice cream, skip the cookie dough for an S/C Value of 0/1!


Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Serves 10
2/3 c. Xylitol
1 vanilla bean, split (you can skip this and add more vanilla extract if you want)
2 3/4 c. heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 tsp if not using the vanilla bean)
1/8 tsp. xantham gum
1/8 tsp. good quality stevia (I use NuNaturals brand, which is the best)
1 Tbsp. hard alcohol (I used Navan vanilla cognac)
*cookie dough, chopped into small pieces (enough to make about 5 large cookies)- You should try to use sugar free or low sugar cookie dough.  I made my own sugarfree cookie dough (see my post about cookie dough below), but I have seen organic already made dough that has only 6 grams of sugar, per cookie.  

Melt the xylitol in a saucepan over low heat until almost completely melted.  Add vanilla bean scrapings and bean pod. Heat xylitol and vanilla until the xylitol is completely melted. Add 1/4 cup heavy cream and stir until sweetener completely dissolves.Remove saucepan from heat.

In a large bowl, beat yolks with electric mixer until they turn light yellow.  Slowly add the rest of the heavy cream and continue to beat.  Remove the vanilla pods from the xylitol and add xylitold to the cream mixture.  Beat well. Slowly beat in stevia, xanthan gum and vanilla extract. Chill  for at least four hours.

Turn on your ice cream maker and add mixture.  When ice cream is almost hardened, add the cookie dough.  Remove from ice cream maker and serve, or freeze to make the ice cream more firm.

6 comments:

  1. Candice, thanks for sharing I will try some of your recipes. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good. what is the ice cream serving size for the 0/1? -Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a 1/2 c serving. I used a low carb cookie recipe that was mostly butter and some whole wheat flour. It was ok raw but not very good after it was baked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was your final recipe for the cookie dough? I saw below what you had done but you had mentioned trying it a different way. I really need good recipes for baking! Thanks for putting something up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! Where did you find that whole wheat sugar free cookie dough??
    -Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made some whole wheat cookie dough, but I really wasn't that happy with it. I am going to try something different tomorrow and will post that recipe!

    ReplyDelete