Monday, November 9, 2009

Ginger Asparagus

For lunch today, I made some ginger asparagus.  I love asparagus, even plain, but this recipe kicks up the flavor.

For about 1/4 the recipe (or 4 whole spears) the S/C Value is 1/0.

Ginger Asparagus
Serves 4

1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into small pieces.
1/2 Tbsp oil
1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp chopped ginger root (peeled)
1 pinch of  red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp flax seeds, toasted

In a skillet, boil 1 cup of water. Add asparagus and return to boil.   Reduce heat to medium, cover, and  cook  about 5 minutes, or until asparagus is tender but still crisp. Drain asparagus and plunge in cold water to stop the asparagus from continuing to cook.

Wipe the skillet dry (being careful not to burn yourself).   Add the oil and heat over high heat until hot. Add asparagus, ginger, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes, and cook 1 to 2 minutes or just until asparagus is heated through. Remove skillet from heat; stir in the flax seeds and sesame oil.


Serve hot and enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks! I really need to learn new ways to eat veggies (I'm tired of microwaving broccoli, cauliflower, or any combination of the 2).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying new veggies because I was the same way and I got really bored and did not want to eat them!
    I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Candice! I hope you saw Jorge found your blog via my blog roll @ http://meandjorge.blogspot.com/ and gave everyone our blog address! So cool! I hope you will list me on a blog roll too. - Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that! Exciting stuff!

    I added a blog roll too!

    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all you recipes. What is a blog roll?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you please explain how you prepare ginger root for use in your recipe. I have never used ginger root and don't know what to do with it. I see that you say "peeled" and "chopped." I'm afraid I need more description than that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane- a blog roll is the list of blogs that the person writing the blog subscribes to. It is right under the About Me section on this page.

    I need to add some more Belly Fat Cure blogs to my page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Lou,
    No problem! I can give you some more info on the ginger root.

    Most likely, the ginger root will be located in the produce section, near the garlic and onions.

    It is light brown and looks like a lumpy tubular root.

    To prepare the ginger root, first you should peel off the light brown "skin". You can use an apple peeler to do this pretty easily. Once you do, it will expose the light golden colored ginger. Then, just cut the ginger up into small pieces, similar to how you would chop up garlic.

    Alternatively, if your grocery store has an ethnic food section, you can sometimes find minced ginger in a jar. This saves you the hassle of chopping up the ginger, and a jar can last a good while in the refrigerator.

    Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete