Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mock Apple Crisp

So this recipe is pretty amazing.   I found recipes online for it, but adjusted the ingredients to make it belly fat approved.

The amazing part of the recipe is that the Apple Crisp does not contain apples!  It contains zucchini, but your family or guests will not be able to tell.  The zucchini amazingly turns into apples by removing the seeds from the zucchini, cutting it to look apple-like, and cooking it with lemon juice, sweetener, and spices.





The results are amazing.  For 1/6th of the recipe below, the S/C Value is 3/1.  A serving has 20 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber.

My husband did not realize that it did not contain apples.  After I told him, he said that he thought that the "apples" were not as sweet as real apples, but that he liked it a lot.  When I make it again, I will be sure to add additional stevia to sweeten them up a bit more.

I use a tiny amount of blackstrap molasses in the crisp topping.  It adds a very very tiny amount of sugar, but it adds a great flavor that makes up for the lack of brown sugar.

Mock Apple Crisp
 Serves 6

For the filling:
4 c. zucchini (peeled, sliced, and seeds removed, resembling slices of apples)
1/2 c. xylitol
1/4 tsp. stevia (or more to taste
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  In a saucepan, heat zucchini, xylitol, stevia, lemon juice, and spices.  Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the "apples" are soft.  Taste and add more stevia if necessary.  Set aside.

For the crisp topping:
1/4 c. oatmeal (I ground mine into fine crumbs)
1/4 c.  whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 c.  unbleached flour
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp xylitol
1/8 tsp. stevia (add more to taste)
1 tsp. blackstrap molasses

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt butter in the microwave until liquified. Stir in xylitol, blackstrap molasses, and vanilla extract. Add butter mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the topping is crumbly.  Taste and add more stevia if necessary.

Butter a baking dish.  Add zucchini mixture and sprinkle the top evenly with crumb topping.

Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until crisp is bubbly and browned.

Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. This looks GREAT. I miss my fruit and this may help. I wonder if you could make it even lower carb by replacing some of the flour with soy flour. I bought some yesterday after reading about it. When I get around to making this, I may try some soy flour. If I do, I will certainly let you know how it goes. Thanks for all of your great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried soy flour yet, but I would like to. I would love to know how it goes if you decide to use it.

    I think I may make this again and maybe add a few blackberries. I think that would be good too.

    ReplyDelete