Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Baked Quinoa Pudding

It is that time of year when I start to crave rich, creamy desserts like pumpkin pie and rice pudding.

I found a recipe online for Baked Quinoa Pudding and adapted it to fit the plan.  It has to bake for a couple hours but it is worth the time investment.  If you want, you can add raisins or dried fruit to the pudding a few minutes before it is finished baking.  I love all things vanilla, so I chose to skip the fruit (and any added sugar) and left it plain.

If you have not heard of Quinoa, read more about it and its health benefits here.

The S/C Value for 1 serving is 1/1 (without any added fruit).

Baked Quinoa Pudding
serves 6

*2 cups of heavy cream
*2 cups of half and half
1/2 c. xylitol
pinch of salt
1/8 tsp. guar gum
1/4 c. quinoa (uncooked)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. stevia (I recommend NuNaturals brand.  It is the only kind I have tried that does not have any bitter taste)
cinnamon or nutmeg

*Note- I used cream and half and half to minimize the milk sugars as much as possible.  You can use any kind of milk, cream, or a combo of both.

Heat oven to 325.  In a ovenproof dish or bowl with high sides (that has been lightly coated with butter), combine cream (half and half, milk, etc), quinoa, salt, guar gum, and xylitol.  Stir to combine.

Bake for 1.5 hours, stirring often.  After 1.5 hours, add vanilla and stevia (and fruit if you are using) and bake for another 30 minutes, or until thickened. 

Remove and let cool.  Serve warm or chilled, sprinkled with cinnamon or nutmeg.

2 comments:

  1. This morning for breakfast, I made a Quinoa Parfait. I took a little pudding and layered it with some Uncle Same cereal and blackberries. Yummy!

    The pudding was super thick today after it had been chilled. It may be a good idea to make it with 2 c. heavy cream and 2 c. water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recipe, I will try it and let you know how it went for me.

    ReplyDelete