Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mom's Keema- Indian Beef

This is one of my favorite dishes.  I love ethnic foods but find it hard to know exactly what is in them when I eat at restaurants.  This dish has the spices and tastes of Indian Food with a limited amount of sugar.

The beef alone has a S/C value of 2/1.  I like it best over vegetables and rice.  I usually eat it over 1/2 c. of brown basmati rice (SC value of 0/1). 

Keema Indian Beef
Serves 4
1 Tbsp. Canola Oil (I use Smart Balance Oil)
1lb ground beef (I think 80/20 beef works best here since you are not adding much additional fat.  It keeps it moist.  However, I have used beef up to 94% lean and still had great results.)
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1 medium sized onion, chopped into fine pieces (I use my food processor)
1 medium sized tomato, chopped (I also use my food processor)
1 inch of ginger, crushed OR 1 Tbsp of ginger paste (found in your ethnic foods department in a jar)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp gran masala
1 tsp salt (adjust to your tastes)


In a deep frying pan over medium-high heat, heat oil.  When hot, add 1/2 tsp mustard seed.  When the mustard seeds start to pop, add the onion.  Cook until light brown.

Add the tomato and  ginger that is crushed.  Keep stirring for 1 min.  Then add ground beef , turmeric powder, cumin, coriander powder and  gran masala and salt.

Lower to heat to med low and cook for 7-8 mins or until beef is cooked.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Candice,

    I love to cook as well and have been enjoying going through your recipes!

    I made this recipe for dinner tonight and both my husband and I loved it...plus, how easy! We had worked outside in the yard all afternoon and were both tired so it was really nice to have dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes!

    Thanks again,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the recipe! It has become a favorite of mine for the same reasons!

    Candice

    ReplyDelete