Friday, January 8, 2010

Chocolate Marshmallow Ice Cream

Here is a recipe for really rich Chocolate Marshmallow Ice Cream.  If you do not have the Marshmallow flavoring, you can use vanilla for plain chocolate ice cream.  The ice cream turns out very rich and creamy and delicious.  You will feel satisfied even with a small bowl.

The S/C Value for one serving is 0/1.  This is a great treat that will satisfy your chocolate cravings!

Chocolate Marshmallow Ice Cream

Serving size- 1/2 c.

2/3 cup xylitol
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 egg yolks (I use organic eggs because they are safer)
2 1/2 c. heavy cream
1/4 tsp. stevia
1/8 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. All Natural Marshmallow flavoring (from Nature's Flavors, see my post below)
1 Tbsp. hard alcohol (I used Navan vanilla cognac.

Melt xylitol in a saucepan over low heat.  Once it is completely melted, slowly whisk in cocoa powder and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Stir until the mixture is smooth (being careful that the mixture does not burn).  Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, beat yolks.  Slowly add 2 1/4 c. of the cream, mixing well.  Add cocoa mixture and beat on high until the completely combined.  On low, blend in the stevia, xanthan gum, hard alcohol and marshmallow flavoring or vanilla.  Chill ice cream base until cold.

Add to your ice cream maker as per the ice cream maker instructions.

Serve immediately or freeze for a more firm ice cream.

I cover the ice cream with foil before freezing and it lasts awhile in the freezer!




3 comments:

  1. Hi Candice...great website! I've noticed your recipes for treats call for xylitol, stevia and xanthan gum. I know stevia is a sweetener like Truvia, but what is the xylitol and xanthan gum? I noticed some of the recipes call for both stevia and xylitol. Is xylitol like the Joseph's malitol syrup? Can you replace the xylitol in your recipes for Truvia? Just a little confused...4th week into BFC and still learning. Thanks~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! I am glad that you are enjoying the website.

    Stevia, xylitol, and truvia are all natural sugar substitutes. Truvia is a brand name for a blend of erythritol (another sugar substitute) and stevia.

    Erythritol and xylitol are actually pretty similar. They are both sugar alcohols. You can buy them at any health food store, and I found xylitol for a great price at a vitamin store. Both erythritol and xylitol taste similar to sugar and can have a slight cooling effect when you eat them.

    Stevia is a sugar substitute that is very sweet. It can have a bitter taste if you use too much.

    I use xylitol in a lot of my baked goods because I like the flavor and have had great results.

    However, I think you could substitute Truvia in all of my recipes. If you do, you may need to play around with the amounts until you figure out how much to use. If you use truvia, I would use that as the only sweetner and eliminate the stevia in my recipes. I just use the stevia sometimes to boost the sweetness of the xylitol but keep the carb count down. However, since Truvia has stevia in it already, it is pretty sweet.

    I also like using xylitol because it comes in a jar that makes it easy for measuring and scooping, unlike Truvia.

    Xantham gum is something that I heard about from another blog. You can also find it at health food stores. It is used as a thickener, but for some reason it also helps make products that are made with xylitol and erythritol taste better. Somehow it lessens the cooling effects that they can sometimes give tp sweets and keeps baked goods moist You only use a tiny bit, so a bag goes a long way.

    Here is a website that kind of explains it in more detail. http://www.emeraldforestxylitol.com/recipe_baking.htm

    Thanks for reading my blog! Good luck on the BFC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Candice....your right about the Truvia, it does have a bitter taste, which i don't like either. I'll pay anything to have my treats taste good w/o the sugar. I'm going to get some asap, can't wait to make your chocolate chip cookies!!

    ReplyDelete