Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sweet and Tangy Chili Meatloaf

Here is a healthy, tangy meatloaf recipe that I have modified slightly to make it a belly fat cure friendly protein that even has some added fiber.

I started making this a few years ago.  I previously used 1/4 c. of regular white flour breadcrumbs and 1/4 c. of rolled oats in order to limit the empty carbs and add some fiber.

However, today I was able to find wonderful whole wheat bread crumbs.  I decided to use 1/2 a cup of these instead.

If you cannot find whole wheat bread crumbs, I recommend it the way I used to make it.  By using half bread crumbs and half oatmeal, you get the flavor of the bread crumbs and the fiber in the oatmeal.

The S/C Value for 1/4 of the recipe below is 1/1.  


Chili Meatloaf
Serves 4-6

1 c. tomato sauce (canned with no added sugar- I used Muir Glen Organic)
1 Tbsp. xylitol
2 tsp. yellow mustard
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. onion flakes
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 c. whole grain italian bread crumbs (I used Gia Russa brand.  This adds 8 grams of fiber)
1 egg
1 pinch of stevia

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat a 9 x 5 bread loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a bowl, combine 1/3 c. tomato sauce, 1 Tbsp. xylitol, mustard, 1 tsp. chili powder, onion flakes, parsley, and salt.  Stir.  Add beef, bread crumbs, and egg and combine until mixed.  Shape into a loaf and pat into the pan.

Combine remaining tomato sauce, chili powder, and a pinch of stevia.  Taste and adjust stevia until the sauce is slightly sweet.    Pour tomato mixture over the meatloaf.

Bake for 55-60 minutes.  Cool for 5 minutes and serve.

1 comment:

  1. This was the BEST meat loaf I ever ate,
    Moist and flavorful,
    My only meat loaf recipe from now on,
    It got raves from my husband and son.
    Linda from Baltimore

    ReplyDelete