Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mini Microwave S'mores

Last week I was looking at Me and Jorge, Amber's great blog about the Belly Fat Cure and her experience, and she recommended a great website for BFC approved foods.

I noticed that they sold sugar free marshmallows, and immediately started craving yummy melted S'mores.
By adding low sugar graham crackers and no-sugar added milk chocolate, I was able to enjoy a really low sugar version of the campfire classic that is just as delicious as the original. 

I started with La Nouba Sugar Free Marshmallows from Carbsmart.com.  I was hesitant at first, wondering what a sugar free marshmallow would be like.  However, these marshmallows are great.  They are made with blend of sugar free sweeteners and natural vanilla flavoring.  Delicious!

I also ordered a chocolate bar from carbsmart.  Chocoperfection makes a milk chocolate bar sweetened without maltitol.  I ordered the milk chocolate bar since it would be perfect for the S'mores.

The most challenging part of making the S'more was finding a sutible graham cracker, since most contain a lot of sugar.  However, Heath Valley makes a great low sugar graham cracker that is made with whole wheat flour and has 3 grams of fiber per serving. I found them at Whole Foods, but you can order online at the link above.

I am very pleased at how they turned out.  While the S'more is smaller than their sugar-laden counterparts, it is very satisfying!  I was very happy to have a low sugar version of a food that I thought I would need to give up forever.

One S'more as prepared below has about 15 grams of carbohydrates and only one gram of sugar. It also has almost 4 grams of fiber, so it is a very satisfying dessert!

Microwave S'mores
Serves 1

2 Heath Valley Amaranth Graham Crackers
1 square of Chocoperfection milk chocolate
1 La Nouba Sugar Free Marshmallows

Place graham crackers on a microwavable  plate.  Place chocolate square on one cracker and marshmallow on other.

Microwave at medium heat for 25 seconds.  Marshmallow will puff up very large.  Heat for 5 additional seconds as necessary.  Place crackers together to form a sandwich and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Okay Candice...this was a real treat! I couldn't wait to try these, and what a delight it was. Thanks for sharing your creativity.
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete